Skip to main content

Meet my girls...


Time is a strange thing, ya know? One thing from ten years ago might seem like it happened yesterday whereas you're convinced that the thing that happened yesterday was ten years ago. So far India appears to be this way. Though I arrived here just two-and-a-half weeks ago, it seems like its been an eternity. But at the same time, I feel like I was just in China spending time with the people and children I love so much. And with its contorted sense of time (where 5 minutes could mean 5 hours or even 5 days later), India's feeling of time doesn't get any better (yes I know you'd think that it would be perfect for me, but even I'm waiting on people all the time here). So as I'm 19 days in, I find myself trying to figure out exactly what I've been doing with my time...

Since my arrival, I kind of hit-the-ground-running. The plan was for me to take over running a home for the school-aged girls that SCH recently opened in November. So basically I'm overseeing 12 girls (ages 4 to 13), two nannies, and a nurse who all live on the floor below me. So when I got here, the lady who helped open it immediately went into training mode and attempting to teach me everything that could possibly help me survive living in a place of such wonderful love and madness :) So when she left last Sunday, I had to be prepared to take on all the responsibilities of being a parent. Every day brings on new surprises with new challenges, and I often find myself trying to think through a million different things at one time, but it's moments when I can sit down and play with them and see that they know they're loved, that makes it all worth while.

So what's been consuming all my time??

Well...

there's...

Hannah

Alesa

Christine

Phoebe

Genevieve

Esther

Rachel

Victoria

Nora

Stacy

Honor

and Zinnia

Aren't they beautiful?

Each one is so special, and each one is precious, and each one is a mess all her own. Daily, they make me laugh and smile, and (almost always) daily, they make me mad and frustrated as we learn together what it really means to be a family. Our family on most days requires a little extra grace and a little extra forgiveness, but let's be honest, how could we not with 16 girls comprising it?

In all honesty this hasn't been the easiest transition for me. I've struggled finding my purpose in the midst of what sometimes seems like chaos. I'm having to figure out how to be a friend to these girls but yet gain respect and maintain authority in their eyes. And I'm learning quickly how desperately I must seek the Lord and be attentive to His purpose in my life. But above all, I'm learning what Paul meant in 1 Corinthians 3:23 when he said, "You are of Christ" and how nearly impossible it is to be Christ 24/7.

It's hard being Christ. It's hard loving and caring and disciplining all at the same time while trying to find joy and maintain patience in the midst of it all. How does Jesus do it with me? How would He lead these girls? Most days I don't have a clue but can only be thankful that by His grace and mercy, He does. Charles Spurgeon says in his January 12th entry of Morning & Evening:

Work practically to show the world that you are the servant, the friend, the bride of Jesus...When the cause of God invites you, give yourself to it; when someone needs something from you, give your goods and yourself away, for you are of Christ. Never belie your profession. Always be one of those whose manners are Christian, whose speech is like the Nazarene, whose conduct and conversation are so redolent of heaven, that all who see you may know that you are the Savior's, recognizing in you His features of love and countenance of holiness. "I am a Roman!" was proof of integrity in ages past, far more, then, let it be your proof of holiness, "I am of Christ!"

So daily I'm learning to reflect more of Christ in my words and actions, and daily, I find myself on my knees praying that as I become more and more broken, I will become more and more like Christ as I'm rebuilt and restored. It's an exhausting thing- brokenness, but I'm trusting in the One Who was broken for me that He intends to see me through to the end.

So I ask that today you would pray for India, that you would pour out your heart with me for these girls, that you would ask their Father to love on them and teach them to love themselves and others. I ask that you would pray for me, that I would learn to be Christ in word and deed and that I would find truly that "The joy of the Lord is my strength" (Nehemiah 8:10).

And for all of us, I pray that today will be a day when we find our purpose. May it be a day that we recognize that ultimately, our calling is to be "of Christ" and to be ones "whose conduct and conversation are so redolent of heaven, that all who see [us] may know that [we] are the Savior's." May we learn to truly love and truly give ourselves away to the people and causes that need us the most. And ultimately, may we be broken and restored looking so much like Christ that we are mistaken for Him...


Comments

  1. Haley, you have a beautiful heart:) miss you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speechless & praying for you, my angel daughter. Love you so much! *Jer. 29:11-"'I know the plans that I have for you', says the Lord, 'plans to prosper you & not to harm you; plans to give you a hope & a future.'"

      Delete
  2. Haley, I really enjoyed your post! Many people have trouble being a parent to one child and you have a bunch. Hang in there and things will eventually start making sense. I miss seeing you at church but I know you're doing a great work. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haley,

    I am humbled to your calling!

    You are in the "vineyard" doing that which Christ has called us to do. Go forth as you represent so many that are praying for your safety and "peace" that comes when we are in God's Will!

    Prayers,
    Dr. Miller
    Mooreland Heights

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh the places you'll go...

Congratulations! Today is your day. You’re off to Great Places! You’re off and away! You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You’re on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the guy who’ll decide where to go... ( Oh the Places You'll Go by Dr. Suess)   I love this book. I really do. And it's funny just how true it seems to be. I've heard it and read it a million and one times and every time, I never thought the day would come when I would really have a choice about the places I would go. There's an order to life: preschool...kindergarten...1st, 2nd, 3rd grade, all the way up to high school graduation. Sure, I got to pick the college I wanted to attend, but I always knew I would go to college so I never had to wonder what my next step would be for 22 years of my life. But then this happened... Yep. College graduation. And everything changed. I had options. Well,

My littlest princesses...

Little kids are just funny, ya know? You just never know what they're going to do. But you can always count on them bringing a smile to your face.  Here at the girls' home, we have three little girls that never fail to make me smile: Genevieve, Esther, and Zinnia These girls have such an innocence and joy about them that can't be missed. Everyday they attend preschool at a local school in the morning and then they come home at lunchtime for an afternoon abounding in whatever adventures their imaginations can come up with. They're such curious and creative little ones that never cease to amaze me in what they find to do. Some days its coloring or playing with clay or drawing on a Magnadoodle; some days its bumper cars with our laundry baskets; some days its "helping" by taking the clean laundry off the clothesline and "washing" it in a bucket of water that my air conditioner drips into or even "cleaning" the

Grains of sand...

Ah...the beach...the sunshine, the refreshingly cool water, the warm breeze...you just can't go wrong...one of the wonderful things about Ongole is its close proximity to the Indian Ocean where one can go to relax and enjoy a short break from the craziness of India. A real treat for our kids is when we have the opportunity to take them to the beach to play and forget about all the worries of the world. So when we were given the chance to take my schoolgirls to the beach for the day, Caroline and I jumped on it! We found everyone some Indian beach dress code appropriate clothes (dress and pants), loaded up the car, and set out for the day with windows down and singing songs at the top of our lungs. If only I could find the words to describe the smiles that were on the girls' faces as we drove along, knowing that once we reached our destination they would be able to laugh and play in the ocean... Stacy and Zinnia As soon as we stepped out of the car, several of them to