Skip to main content

Love makes all the difference...


Kids are just creative, ya know? You can simply give them some art supplies, free reign, and away they'll go! So when I attempted explaining Valentine's Day to my girls a couple of weeks ago and told them we were going to make valentines, you can imagine that the concept wasn't so clear. But by just giving them all the necessary items for a good valentine: construction paper, cut-out hearts, stickers, valentines sent from the States, glue, markers, and crayons, they went to work with their wonderful, creative minds and created some of the most lovely valentines I've ever seen.

So I know this post is coming a bit late, but hey, better late than never, right? I just couldn't help but post them after I finally got the pictures on my computer...













Do they look happy? Do they look loved? Do they look like they know they're loved?

I would say so.

Over the last couple of years, as God has given me more opportunities to work with the underprivileged and forgotten of this world, He has been especially teaching me what a difference love makes.

Love is one of those words that our society has come to use so flippantly. I love ice cream. I love sunshine. I love music. We love everything. We've even created a holiday centered around love. But love is a word that has the potential to have so much meaning behind it especially when its met with action. There's a phrase that I remember reading on a ND calendar last summer (2010) that says:

"Love makes a difference. Love paints smiles on previously sad faces. Love brightens eyes with unmistakeable sparkle, and the sound of love's laughter is the sound of pure joy."

Read that one more time...how true is it? As I look around me, I see the sights and sounds of love. Whether its the hugs that I receive when I come up the stairs to my apartment, the smiles I see on my girls faces, or the love songs that they sing to Jesus, love is all around. I believe that these girls know they are loved, and I honestly believe that it has and will continue to make a difference in their lives. Their faces have smiles painted on them. Their eyes are bright with an unmistakeable sparkle. And their laughter, o how sweet it is, is the sound of pure joy.

Love only makes a difference in their lives because there is action behind it. Think about it. How do you know that you're loved? Its not because someone declared their love to you (though that helps); its because someone showed it to you. Someone took the time to listen to you, to laugh with you, to cry with you. They showed up when you needed them the most. They cared for you when you didn't deserve it. 

My girls know they're loved because someone cares for them. This knowledge all started when someone took the time to rescue them from a love-less institution and promised to provide for them. They know when they play games with their nannies. They know when someone takes the time to care about their school by helping them with their homework or going and meeting with their teachers. And they also know when someone tucks them into bed at night and reminds them with a hug and a kiss on the forehead that they're safe and so dearly treasured. All these things and more are how they know. And all of it is what continues to help them daily grow and blossom in the beautiful, lovely little girls that their Heavenly Father created them to be.

So daily I must ask myself if I'm loving well. Am I loving these girls and all the people in my life, both near and far away, the way that my God so perfectly loves me? Am I loving in a way that makes a difference in the lives of those around me?

Too many days I fall short of loving the way I should. But yet, I can't forget how important it is to never quit loving because I've seen what it can do. So I ask that you would pray for me. Pray that I would continue to know how to love these girls. And pray especially, that they would know they are loved. Pray that this love would continue to bring smiles to their faces and joy to their hearts.

And for all of us, may God grant us the wisdom to know how to love. May today be a day that you know that you are so dearly loved. May you never forget the ultimate act of love and sacrifice done for you by your Lord so long ago. And may we seek out the unlovely and forgotten people of this world and pour out love on them whether we think they deserve it or not. May we look to our Savior as an example of love and see this world through His compassionate, loving eyes. And may our love paint smiles, brighten eyes, and be the sound of joy because its the only thing that can truly make a difference...


Comments

  1. "Oh how He loves you & me; Oh how He loves you & me! He gave His life; What more could He do? Oh how He loves you! Oh how He loves me! Oh how He loves you & me!" (sing along, sweet girl! I love you!:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My littlest princesses...

Little kids are just funny, ya know? You just never know what they're going to do. But you can always count on them bringing a smile to your face.  Here at the girls' home, we have three little girls that never fail to make me smile: Genevieve, Esther, and Zinnia These girls have such an innocence and joy about them that can't be missed. Everyday they attend preschool at a local school in the morning and then they come home at lunchtime for an afternoon abounding in whatever adventures their imaginations can come up with. They're such curious and creative little ones that never cease to amaze me in what they find to do. Some days its coloring or playing with clay or drawing on a Magnadoodle; some days its bumper cars with our laundry baskets; some days its "helping" by taking the clean laundry off the clothesline and "washing" it in a bucket of water that my air conditioner drips into or even "cleaning" the

Oh the places you'll go...

Congratulations! Today is your day. You’re off to Great Places! You’re off and away! You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You’re on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the guy who’ll decide where to go... ( Oh the Places You'll Go by Dr. Suess)   I love this book. I really do. And it's funny just how true it seems to be. I've heard it and read it a million and one times and every time, I never thought the day would come when I would really have a choice about the places I would go. There's an order to life: preschool...kindergarten...1st, 2nd, 3rd grade, all the way up to high school graduation. Sure, I got to pick the college I wanted to attend, but I always knew I would go to college so I never had to wonder what my next step would be for 22 years of my life. But then this happened... Yep. College graduation. And everything changed. I had options. Well,

Grains of sand...

Ah...the beach...the sunshine, the refreshingly cool water, the warm breeze...you just can't go wrong...one of the wonderful things about Ongole is its close proximity to the Indian Ocean where one can go to relax and enjoy a short break from the craziness of India. A real treat for our kids is when we have the opportunity to take them to the beach to play and forget about all the worries of the world. So when we were given the chance to take my schoolgirls to the beach for the day, Caroline and I jumped on it! We found everyone some Indian beach dress code appropriate clothes (dress and pants), loaded up the car, and set out for the day with windows down and singing songs at the top of our lungs. If only I could find the words to describe the smiles that were on the girls' faces as we drove along, knowing that once we reached our destination they would be able to laugh and play in the ocean... Stacy and Zinnia As soon as we stepped out of the car, several of them to