Skip to main content

I am wonderfully made!


"I praise you because I am wonderfully made!" Psalm 139:14

It's a verse that we teach to kids hoping that they know they are perfect. A verse that I learned when I was little. A verse that I've heard a million times. But though I have heard it time and time again, I couldn't help but tear up at hearing them say it.

When our team started thinking about what Bible verse to teach the SCH kids during English camp, no one disagreed that Psalm 139:14 should be it. For kids who have been given up because of their physical or mental disabilities, there's nothing better for them to know. As we planned, all I could think about was what a perfect verse for kids who are just that: perfect.

When you first meet the SCH kids, it would be easy to notice some of their disabilities, but when you get to know them, all that fades away and you recognize just how amazing they are. God certainly made them wonderful. He stitched them together and knew their lives before they were even born. He knew the struggles and heartaches they would face, but I think He gave them an extra helping of strength and perseverance to get them through it to where they are today.

I can't get out of my mind them learning that verse at camp last week and hoping that they understood what it said and never forget it. I loved watching my schoolgirls learn it as Phoebe who is blind would repeat it fully believing that she is wonderful, and Paula who is physically handicapped learned that God made her perfectly.

Phoebe finger painting

Paula
It was sweet as we worked with the schoolboys and watched them teach each other in the ways that they knew their friends needed to learn. For Jason who is hearing impaired, Judah would sit close to him and repeat each word for him in his ear. For the smaller boys, Christopher, who is older, would repeat it one word at a time until they could remember it. It was beautiful.

Jason
Judah and Jason eating mac 'n cheese
Christopher
Reflecting on last week, I pray these kids never forget how wonderful they are; that there never comes a time in their lives where they question whether God made them perfectly. I pray the same for you and me also. As we go through this life facing all the pressures of society to be perfect, I hope we never wonder about God's perfect plans for us. I fully believe that He orders our steps, whether we know it or not, and that we can never go where He is not already there. His plans are good and for that reason I hope that I will praise Him all the days of my life because like Phoebe, Paula, Jason, Christopher, Judah, you and all the SCH kids, "I am wonderfully made!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My littlest princesses...

Little kids are just funny, ya know? You just never know what they're going to do. But you can always count on them bringing a smile to your face.  Here at the girls' home, we have three little girls that never fail to make me smile: Genevieve, Esther, and Zinnia These girls have such an innocence and joy about them that can't be missed. Everyday they attend preschool at a local school in the morning and then they come home at lunchtime for an afternoon abounding in whatever adventures their imaginations can come up with. They're such curious and creative little ones that never cease to amaze me in what they find to do. Some days its coloring or playing with clay or drawing on a Magnadoodle; some days its bumper cars with our laundry baskets; some days its "helping" by taking the clean laundry off the clothesline and "washing" it in a bucket of water that my air conditioner drips into or even "cleaning" the

Grains of sand...

Ah...the beach...the sunshine, the refreshingly cool water, the warm breeze...you just can't go wrong...one of the wonderful things about Ongole is its close proximity to the Indian Ocean where one can go to relax and enjoy a short break from the craziness of India. A real treat for our kids is when we have the opportunity to take them to the beach to play and forget about all the worries of the world. So when we were given the chance to take my schoolgirls to the beach for the day, Caroline and I jumped on it! We found everyone some Indian beach dress code appropriate clothes (dress and pants), loaded up the car, and set out for the day with windows down and singing songs at the top of our lungs. If only I could find the words to describe the smiles that were on the girls' faces as we drove along, knowing that once we reached our destination they would be able to laugh and play in the ocean... Stacy and Zinnia As soon as we stepped out of the car, several of them to

Oh the places you'll go...

Congratulations! Today is your day. You’re off to Great Places! You’re off and away! You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You’re on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the guy who’ll decide where to go... ( Oh the Places You'll Go by Dr. Suess)   I love this book. I really do. And it's funny just how true it seems to be. I've heard it and read it a million and one times and every time, I never thought the day would come when I would really have a choice about the places I would go. There's an order to life: preschool...kindergarten...1st, 2nd, 3rd grade, all the way up to high school graduation. Sure, I got to pick the college I wanted to attend, but I always knew I would go to college so I never had to wonder what my next step would be for 22 years of my life. But then this happened... Yep. College graduation. And everything changed. I had options. Well,