Skip to main content

Enjoying the life in your years...


In the last few weeks before it gets too cold to enjoy the outdoors, myself and the other interns have tried to appreciate the sights of Beijing as much as possible. So before anything, let me attempt to paint for you a picture of this massive city...people from every culture and background; skyscrapers and apartments stretching on for miles; an international world with embassies and food from every country you can think of; the majestic architectural works of ancient emperors and empresses; traffic filled with crazy drivers and honking that seems to last for days; and then there's the little taste of American culture with a Starbuck's, McDonald's, Pizza Hut, Dairy Queen or KFC on every corner...So as you can probably imagine, as the cultural, political, financial and historical centerpiece of China, the city is full of so many wonderful places to see and explore.

So what did we decide to see first? Well as some of you know, one of my initial connections to China stems from my love for the giant panda at an early age. So where does one go to find her favorite Chinese animal? Well...unfortunately, pandas don't just roam the city as one might hope, but the Beijing Zoo is definitely a great second option. So my friends and I set off for the Zoo one Sunday afternoon after church. It was a beautiful place to explore, filled with several lake and park areas and much vegetation and flowers...



The Beijing Zoo is one of the oldest and largest zoos in all of China (being built in the early 1900s and housing over 14,000 animals from ALL over the world) so there was plenty to see...

Red panda

South China Tiger

East Asia Lion

And there were thousands of other animals to see as well and many of them could even be found in the Knoxville Zoo, but there was one kind of animal that can't be found in Knoxville, and in my opinion, it was the star of the Beijing Zoo...the giant panda!!





Don't you wish you could just pack them up and bring them home?? I sure did...

After recovering from my excitement of seeing these cuddly bears, a few weekends later, several of us decided to embrace public transportation and headed off to the Summer Palace for the day.


It was stunning, and though I had been there last summer, it was still worth the trip. The sky was absolutely beautiful, and as we walked around, all I could think of was Psalm 19:1
The heavens declare the glory of God;
 The skies proclaim the work of His hands.




We got to see the ancient buildings of the Chinese empire and even the Buddha that the emperors and empresses worshiped during their visits in the summer months...




Overall we had a wonderful time and really enjoyed getting a glimpse into Chinese culture and the vibrantly colorful history they have along with the beauty of the surrounding landscape and city.


When looking back on the last few weeks, I am reminded of a quote by Abraham Lincoln...
And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count.
It's the life in your years.

In my opinion, President Lincoln couldn't have been more right. As I reflect on my life, I am reminded of how important it is to live life to the very fullest. Whether it be exploring the world around you, spending quality time with friends and family, listening to the gleeful laughter of children, or enjoying God's beautiful creation, life isn't about how many years you get to live and experience, but what you do with those years. These days my prayer for myself is that I might find the freedom from my busy schedule to experience this wonderful life I was created to see and explore. 

And I pray this for you as well. Today, may you dive deep into the world around you; may you see for yourself what awaits you in these years; may you recognize that God has created you to live a life of more fullness and joy than you ever dreamed of; and may you look for ways to enjoy the life in your years. ...



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My littlest princesses...

Little kids are just funny, ya know? You just never know what they're going to do. But you can always count on them bringing a smile to your face.  Here at the girls' home, we have three little girls that never fail to make me smile: Genevieve, Esther, and Zinnia These girls have such an innocence and joy about them that can't be missed. Everyday they attend preschool at a local school in the morning and then they come home at lunchtime for an afternoon abounding in whatever adventures their imaginations can come up with. They're such curious and creative little ones that never cease to amaze me in what they find to do. Some days its coloring or playing with clay or drawing on a Magnadoodle; some days its bumper cars with our laundry baskets; some days its "helping" by taking the clean laundry off the clothesline and "washing" it in a bucket of water that my air conditioner drips into or even "cleaning" the

Oh the places you'll go...

Congratulations! Today is your day. You’re off to Great Places! You’re off and away! You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You’re on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the guy who’ll decide where to go... ( Oh the Places You'll Go by Dr. Suess)   I love this book. I really do. And it's funny just how true it seems to be. I've heard it and read it a million and one times and every time, I never thought the day would come when I would really have a choice about the places I would go. There's an order to life: preschool...kindergarten...1st, 2nd, 3rd grade, all the way up to high school graduation. Sure, I got to pick the college I wanted to attend, but I always knew I would go to college so I never had to wonder what my next step would be for 22 years of my life. But then this happened... Yep. College graduation. And everything changed. I had options. Well,

Grains of sand...

Ah...the beach...the sunshine, the refreshingly cool water, the warm breeze...you just can't go wrong...one of the wonderful things about Ongole is its close proximity to the Indian Ocean where one can go to relax and enjoy a short break from the craziness of India. A real treat for our kids is when we have the opportunity to take them to the beach to play and forget about all the worries of the world. So when we were given the chance to take my schoolgirls to the beach for the day, Caroline and I jumped on it! We found everyone some Indian beach dress code appropriate clothes (dress and pants), loaded up the car, and set out for the day with windows down and singing songs at the top of our lungs. If only I could find the words to describe the smiles that were on the girls' faces as we drove along, knowing that once we reached our destination they would be able to laugh and play in the ocean... Stacy and Zinnia As soon as we stepped out of the car, several of them to